Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. was founded on November 17, 1911, at Howard University. In addition, the first international fraternal organization to be founded on the campus of a historically black college and university. The Fraternity was founded on Four Cardinal Principles of Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance, and Uplift and the phrase “friendship is essential to the soul” was chosen as the Fraternity’s motto.
The four great founders were three undergraduates Oscar James Cooper, Frank Coleman, Ernest Everett Just, and faculty advisor Edgar Amos Love.
On November 23, 1911, Edgar A. Love became the first Grand Basileus (National President). Oscar J. Cooper and Frank Coleman were selected to be the Grand Keeper of the Records (National Secretary) and Grand Keeper of Seals (National Treasurer), respectively. Eleven undergraduate men were selected to become the charter members.
Alpha Chapter was organized with fourteen charter members on December 15, 1911. Brothers Edgar A. Love, Oscar J. Cooper, and Frank Coleman were elected the chapter’s first Basileus, Keeper of Records, and Keeper of Seals, respectively.